About Me

My photo
Life happens. Sometimes good and sometimes not so good. This is an exploration of life and all that interests me. I am a therapist working in Norwich, Norfolk, UK. I'm fascinated in the world around me and how people deal with and relate to it. I like to further my knowledge of people, psychology and more. Please join me on my journey.

Saturday 28 May 2011

Sleep and childhood weight gain

Well, sleep is of interest to me again.  This time it's because research published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) has shown that children who don't get enough sleep are shown to be more likely to be overweight by the age of 7.  I know that parents always try to do the best for their children.  Helping children to get enough sleep can increase the chances of a healthier person both in childhood and into adulthood. 
The experts who compiled the report said "Young children who sleep less have a significantly increased risk of having a higher BMI in middle childhood, even after adjustment for multiple risk factors that have been implicated in regulation of body weight." While the differences "may seem minor at an individual level, the benefits for public health, if applied at the population level are considerable", they added.
I've always found that sleep solves many problems for me. It's a chance for my brain to unwind and recharge itself.  So, off to recharge... Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Amazon

Total Pageviews