About Me

My photo
Life happens. Sometimes good and sometimes not so good. This is an exploration of life and all that interests me. I am a therapist working in Norwich, Norfolk, UK. I'm fascinated in the world around me and how people deal with and relate to it. I like to further my knowledge of people, psychology and more. Please join me on my journey.

Thursday 26 May 2011

Sleep Matters. Because you're worth it.

I read today that the Mental Health Foundation’s Sleep Matters report revealed that over 30% of the population currently suffers from insomnia or another sleep disorder. Now isn't that enough to make you want to snuggle under your duvet? 

Sleep is the one thing we all need. It's up there with having a healthy diet and regular exercise. 

New data revealed that sleep disorders can have a significant impact on your mood, energy levels, personal relationships and ability to concentrate, with sufferers being four times more likely to have relationship problems and three times more likely to experience low mood.

I heard a while ago that Margaret Thatcher had 5 hours sleep a night, but often had a power nap during the day to 'top up' her sleep deficit. It would take more than a 40 minute power nap to recharge most people. If you're feeling tired and waking up several times in the night, it could be 'sleep apnoea'. NHS choices explains 'the muscles and soft tissues in the throat relax and collapse sufficiently to cause a total blockage of the airway; it is called an apnoea when the airflow is blocked for 10 seconds or more'. Sometimes sleep apnoea is worsened if you're overweight. It can be a serious condition as you can stop breathing a number of times during the night - so you should get checked out by a GP.  If you're not overweight and you are still not sleeping well, it could also be a sign of another health issue. The Sleep Matters report said that sleep disorders put sufferers at 'significantly greater risk of health problems ranging from depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder to immune deficiency and heart disease'.

Other than asking for your GP to investigate, what else might help? I can only go on what people tell me who have experienced hypnotherapy. (Examples I've worked with are stress, restless leg syndrome, high blood pressure or anxiety related conditions) These clients told me they gradually learn to relax, to let go of worries and as a result got a better night's sleep.   

Perhaps you are looking to get a long awaited good night's rest and relaxation? If so, why not give hypnotherapy a go?  Angie Giles Hypnotherapy
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Amazon

Total Pageviews