About Me

My photo
Life happens. Sometimes good and sometimes not so good. This is an exploration of life and all that interests me. I am a therapist working in Norwich, Norfolk, UK. I'm fascinated in the world around me and how people deal with and relate to it. I like to further my knowledge of people, psychology and more. Please join me on my journey.

Wednesday 29 June 2011

Peace is every step

In following up on some reading I am doing at the moment, I thought I would add a book reference to the blog.  


Peace is every step - Amazon books
A quote from the book reads: "I have heard many stories about parents who have hurt their children so much, planting many seeds of suffering in them. But I believe that the parents did not mean to plant those seeds. They did not intend to make their children suffer. Maybe they received the same kind of seeds from their parents. There is a continuation in the transmission of seeds, and their father and mother might have gotten those seeds from their grandfather and grandmother. Most of us are victims of a kind of living that is not mindful, and the practice of mindful living, of meditation, can stop these kinds of suffering and end the transmission of such sorrow to our children and grandchildren. We can break the cycle by not allowing these kinds of seeds of suffering to be transmitted to our children, our friends, or anyone else."
Amazon UK books - Peace is every step

I hear and see many people who have suffered because they cannot forgive their past or someone in their past. Maybe it is a parent. It is challenging for humans to let go of the past and to change.  I see my own journey over the years as part of the reason for who I am now. 
Feelings and experiences the concrete poured amidst the foundations of who we have become. Maybe if we look at it as mud that held everything in place instead of seeing it as concrete, it is less permanent? It is possible that change can be made and that the foundations can be flexible. 


We have a choice. We can start by thinking about and gaining an understanding of the relationship we had with others, particularly our parents or carers. If we get stuck (in the mud) and are unable to see how we might react to this knowledge, or that forgiveness is beyond our comprehension, we can turn to books like the one above or to therapy. Both of which give a different viewpoint, a different take on our inner chatter. 


Can you listen and begin to see how your thoughts on your own foundations (experiences and feelings) affect you now? How would you like to change? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Amazon

Total Pageviews