About Me

My photo
Life happens. Sometimes good and sometimes not so good. This is an exploration of life and all that interests me. I am a therapist working in Norwich, Norfolk, UK. I'm fascinated in the world around me and how people deal with and relate to it. I like to further my knowledge of people, psychology and more. Please join me on my journey.

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Placebo or real?

I've always enjoyed natural sciences and in particular how the mind connects with our bodies. I'm fascinated with the idea of 'placebo' effect, actually more for me about the true nature of mind over matter.  It has seemed a strange fact that over the years thousands of studies for new drugs have shown people given a placebo will often report an improvement in their condition. However, this often does not get reported. So I was pleased to read up on a study that definitely proved the 'placebo' effect, or rather how our expectations of something have a big effect on how we respond. The study was reported in February this year, completed at Oxford University, in conjunction with German Researchers.  See link Fear the worst expect the best


The findings suggest that doctors may need to consider dealing with patients’ beliefs about the effectiveness of any treatment, as well as the traditional route of deciding upon a drug for them.  


Are we in the Western world getting closer to a traditionally Eastern medicine view of a holistic view of mind as well as body?  I truly hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Amazon

Total Pageviews